Bordeline Personality Disorder

I am doing this blog in the hopes of helping people with "BPD" and to help family and friends and those who do not have BPD to perhaps understand us better. Also to learn from others at the same time. I am 36 years old and I was diagnosed with BPD about 2 years ago. I am fortunate enough to be in a fantastic treatment center for 2 years and i know that depending on where people live, many places do not have treatment at all. I will be sharing VERY PERSONAL information because i think it is important people understand and in the hopes that my story can help someone who has felt the same or went through similar experiences, hopefully they can relate. I would like to share experiences and things I have learned in therapy and hear people's stories and experiences. Please do not self diagnose yourself if you find you have many of the symptoms of Borderline personality disorder. I also am not a doctor or therapist so everything I post is from my own experiences and what I have learned so far about BPD. Everyone is welcome to share their stories, offer tips and such but if anyone is disrespectful I will remove your posts. I hope this will be a way to inform and help people including myself. Thank you

Monday 31 October 2011

A concrete example of radical acceptance

Well i have been trying to think of a concrete and good example of radical acceptance for a while now and i finally have one. Hope this helps you understand the concept better. As most of you know i am waiting to get into St-Luc hospital to do a medical detox. If you have read any of my posts on this i had been told that if i get a referral from a doctor it would about a 2 week waiting period instead of a month to 3 months waiting period. So i found a doctor after a long search who agreed to sign a referral for me and i sent it in last week. Today the nurse in charge of that department called me to say he had spoken to the dorctor and that my referral is not being accepted since the dr that signed it is not the one that gave me a prescription for dilaudid and because i am now buying my dilaudid on the black market as they say. He explained that it is more for people that for example had a bad accident and have been on prescribed dilaudid for a while and are having a hard time getting off these drugs. Now on the first of every month one can call at 9am and they take 8 apointments for that month. So tomorrow morning I and many many others will be on redial trying to be one of the lucky 8. So when i heard this message on my phone this evening right away i started crying and got really anxious, i started thinking the following "what will i do, how can i wait another month to get in as the nurse said if i dont get an apt tomorrow morning it will be begining of december, how can i last another month, will i run out of pills, this is not fair, why is it so hard to get help" then i started crying. I calmed down after about 10 minutes and started thinking the following "Stop right now, this is what it is, that is how this system works and there is absolutely nothing i can do about it, i can spend all evening worrying about it, feeling horrible, getting really anxious but what purpose will this serve me?". I then right away thought of radical acceptance. Can i change this? NO. So instead of freaking out, texting the whole world and calling everyone to say how much this sucks and making this a huge dramatic thing, well i can tell instead tell myself the following. This is a fact, this is something i have ZERO control over, i can not change this, yes it sucks but this is just the way it is. Now accept it and instead of freaking out think of a solution. I have decided i will first concentrate on calling tomorrow morning and perhaps be the lucky winner at the St luc lottery hahah. If that doesnt work well at THAT time, i will proceed to think of other solutions and focus on what i can do about this and not on what i can't do. I decided this will not change the nice evening i had planned for myself, i CHOSE to not let this ruin my evening. I am stuck in this situation right now so i have a choice. 1- i can spend my evening, crying, bitching, feeling sorry for myself, feeling like things never go my way and how unfair this all is and get myself all worked up and sad and depressed filled with anxiety and not sleep at all OR choice number 2- Well i can just accept it for what it is, stay calm as tonight obviously what can i do about this NOTHING. I can chose to spend my evening as i had planned, with my nice supper, watching a few of my favorite shows, chatting with a few friends, blogging and writing the letters i wanted to write tonight. So to me it is now obvious..and i chose number 2. I realise i can do this with everything in my life. Whenever something big or even the smallest things happen, i can always chose to react in a calm manner. Accept the things i cant change and work on solutions or change the things that i can. This can be a way of living as their will always be unpleasant big and small situations in my life. A year ago this would have been the end of the world. I would have called everyone in tears or angry and would have whined and complained and it would have been a huge dramatic thing, and i would be the oh so poor victim in all of this, the person for whom things never go right! NO MORE. This does take practice as i keep repeating all the time. Sometimes i jump right away on my emotions and let them overwhelm me and take over everything. But if i take the time to actually stop and think rationaly and not with my emotions and just calm down and think of this in the way i just described well what a happier easier life i can chose to have! I find this can apply to anyone's life out there with or without bpd. We can really chose how to live our lives every second of the day. It might be harder for some of us, but i really think i can do this with hard work, and that eventually it will also become a habit and a new way of living for me. This can work for YOU TOO!!!! All you have to do is give it a try, what have you got to lose anyway if you are not happy the way you are now :o) Thanks for reading me :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment