Bordeline Personality Disorder

I am doing this blog in the hopes of helping people with "BPD" and to help family and friends and those who do not have BPD to perhaps understand us better. Also to learn from others at the same time. I am 36 years old and I was diagnosed with BPD about 2 years ago. I am fortunate enough to be in a fantastic treatment center for 2 years and i know that depending on where people live, many places do not have treatment at all. I will be sharing VERY PERSONAL information because i think it is important people understand and in the hopes that my story can help someone who has felt the same or went through similar experiences, hopefully they can relate. I would like to share experiences and things I have learned in therapy and hear people's stories and experiences. Please do not self diagnose yourself if you find you have many of the symptoms of Borderline personality disorder. I also am not a doctor or therapist so everything I post is from my own experiences and what I have learned so far about BPD. Everyone is welcome to share their stories, offer tips and such but if anyone is disrespectful I will remove your posts. I hope this will be a way to inform and help people including myself. Thank you

Friday 21 October 2011

There is hope..do not give up

Well as i said in previous posts i am in a thearpy program for 2 years 4 times a week. Of course i was and sometimes am still sceptical about the outcome and how much better i will be after this 2 year program. I have been told by my individual therapist, and by doctors in my other group therapy that this illness can be really well managed and one can become fully functional and have this bpd under control for life after this program with this therapy. I had and still have some days a very hard time believing this BUT, there are some people in my group that are close to the end of their 2 years or i have been in a group once where a girl came in for her last session after 2 years...and i have to say i was shocked!!! The amount of progress she made and belive me she was really really fucked up with quite a hellish past in many many ways. Well she talked alot on her last day and it is unbelievalbe how well this person is now in...this was a few months ago and i got an update from her and how well she is doing. Basically with all the tools she learned in therapy, after A LOT of practice and really hard work. She is now fully fonctional, is back at work and in university. She says her panic attacks are gone. She still gets anxiety but no longer needs her anti anxiety meds to get over the anxiety, she uses the tools learned that i have been sharing in my previous post and she says they are becoming and automatic thing now...she often does this without even trying now. It is starting to come to her naturally. Her self esteem is really really remarkable. She really has her bpd under control and says that she some days almost feels like she does not have it anymore.. She does still see an individual therapist about twice a month which she will do for about a year to make sure she does not relapse. I am also seeing other people that are nearing the end of their therapy and i am amazed, i mean really really amazed at their progress and how much they have changed their life. I always assumed that even after therapy was over after 2 year that all the tools i was learning would always be a struggle and a daily thing to deal with and put into practice, but they are all saying that it is slowly becoming second nature and after practicing for 2 years its is becoming part of their life without thinking about it. I know not everyone has access to thearpy which is really really unfortunate. I am really really hoping that people reading my blog will be able to benefit from my posts from therapy. As you also know i will be out of therapy for a few months until my addiction problems are delt with, and then i will resume my therapy and i will be giving it my 100% as i now see a huge light at the end of the tunnel. So please do not give up, there is hope and this ilness can be managable and help you function in a healthy way with daily things, such as working, dealing with interpersonal relationships, not acting out or thinking with your emotions alone but actually acting in a safe way without even having to think about it after A LOT of pracrtice but you must be willing ro put in the work and really really practice on a daily basis the tools i have listed in many of my posts. DO not give up. Again thank you for reading me :o)

3 comments:

  1. I thought you might find this article interesting. There IS hope and it IS possible. I don't believe everyone will have the same experience as this woman but I found her story inspiring.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/23/health/23lives.html?pagewanted=3&_r=1

    Xoxo
    Denis

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dear Denis,

    Words can't even express what an angel you are to me. I am so so grateful and lucky to have a person like you in my life. You change my world. Thank you for never giving up on me, it means the world to me. I love you xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm printing this one out thanks for the link Denis!! xooxxo to u both!
    Ann :)

    ReplyDelete