Bordeline Personality Disorder

I am doing this blog in the hopes of helping people with "BPD" and to help family and friends and those who do not have BPD to perhaps understand us better. Also to learn from others at the same time. I am 36 years old and I was diagnosed with BPD about 2 years ago. I am fortunate enough to be in a fantastic treatment center for 2 years and i know that depending on where people live, many places do not have treatment at all. I will be sharing VERY PERSONAL information because i think it is important people understand and in the hopes that my story can help someone who has felt the same or went through similar experiences, hopefully they can relate. I would like to share experiences and things I have learned in therapy and hear people's stories and experiences. Please do not self diagnose yourself if you find you have many of the symptoms of Borderline personality disorder. I also am not a doctor or therapist so everything I post is from my own experiences and what I have learned so far about BPD. Everyone is welcome to share their stories, offer tips and such but if anyone is disrespectful I will remove your posts. I hope this will be a way to inform and help people including myself. Thank you

Saturday 15 October 2011

You have the right to your own experience

Ok, so if any of you have read some of my previous blogs, there is one called "Your legitimate rights as a human being"..on that list there is one called "You have the right to your own experience". Well i always had a hard time understanding that one but i now understand what it means so i will explain it in case any of you did not understand it as well. My whole life as i have said, i have always felt guilty, this is pretty much daily, i always feel guilty, i always think i did something wrong or that i am not a good person. And as i have said in previous posts i have always kept everything inside, all the pain for example like after being rapped i would say "its ok, i am lucky that i am fine it could have been worse, it made me a stronger person etc etc and never permitted myself to feel the pain cause i had to be "TUFF". Same as when i got divorced, i would tell myself and others, these things happen, it's not the end of the world, a lot of people have it worse then me..so i kept on smiling and pushed the pain away believing i had no right to feel pain or complain since as i always say "There are worse problems in the world". I say that phrase quite frequently. So i never allowed myself to feel pain, sadness or dissapointement. I was always as i said "TUFF" and trying to always see the good side of everything and pushing the pain inside. When i do feel the pain, when i am sad or depressed, i always feel guilty and always say, what the hell are you complaining about, some people are dying of hunger in other countries, some people have no family, no health, people out there are going through way worse then i am so shut up and take it. Now i understand that of course that is not healthy in anyway shape or form because in order to avoid the pain i assumed i was not entitled to feel, well i either spend money, drink, cut..etc etc which is not very healthy at all. So by saying you have the right to your own experience means that yes when i feel sad or hurt or depressed even though someone else is going through worse or their are people dying of hunger out there, the fact is i am hurting and i am allowed to feel it. In fact it is important to feel it so it does not stay bottled up inside and come out later in a very unhealthy way BUT and their is a BUT, it's ok and normal and healthy to feel your emotions but you must not dwell on it either. Here comes in the radical acceptance part. Acknowledge your feelings, yes i am sad and hurt that this hapenned to me, its not fair and it sucks, now accept it as it is because you cant change it THEN ask yourself what can i do to make this better, what do i have control over. Accept that it happenned and you have no control over that because it is already done and you just cant change that...then move on to a solution. A healthy solution. I have listed many many coping skills and activities or distractions one can apply at this very moment. So to me this is what "you have the right to your own experience" means. I will now actually say "You have the right to your own experience WITHOUT FEELING GUILTY" I hope this helps you understand and again as always thank you for reading me :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment