Bordeline Personality Disorder

I am doing this blog in the hopes of helping people with "BPD" and to help family and friends and those who do not have BPD to perhaps understand us better. Also to learn from others at the same time. I am 36 years old and I was diagnosed with BPD about 2 years ago. I am fortunate enough to be in a fantastic treatment center for 2 years and i know that depending on where people live, many places do not have treatment at all. I will be sharing VERY PERSONAL information because i think it is important people understand and in the hopes that my story can help someone who has felt the same or went through similar experiences, hopefully they can relate. I would like to share experiences and things I have learned in therapy and hear people's stories and experiences. Please do not self diagnose yourself if you find you have many of the symptoms of Borderline personality disorder. I also am not a doctor or therapist so everything I post is from my own experiences and what I have learned so far about BPD. Everyone is welcome to share their stories, offer tips and such but if anyone is disrespectful I will remove your posts. I hope this will be a way to inform and help people including myself. Thank you

Monday 12 September 2011

Me and one of my bad compulsions or i should say one of my bad coping skill

Well, again this is hard to write....
    Within the last 2 months i have been having an extremly hard time with my budget. In the beginning of my therapy, my individual therapist and i made a budget so i could learn how to manage money (yes i know i am 36 and have no clue how to manage money!). It is one of my biggest compulsions. A lot of bad things or big issues came up within the last few months, and although i had been doing very well, when things got hard i started spending. Not on big things, but just spending without looking at my budget and without noticing until one day i sat down realizing i had not looked at my budget in a while, well what a hole i dug MYSELF into, my rent check even bounce, i have no money for the bus and food, it is really EMBARRASSING that i am 36 and that i did this, i have anxiety just writing this and wondering what i will do . It is now causing me stress, anxiety on some days panic attacks and about a week ago i cut myself one day. Many sleepless nights wondering how i will pay everything and get out of this hole. I must borrow money again and the embarrassment and guilt are overwhelming. I have to start at zero and get myself out of this hole somehow. This is a compulsion many of my fellow therapy friends have, some have others that are a bigger issue for them.
We don't do this on purpose, in therapy they will teach us how to identify when i start this compulsion and catch myself before too much damage has happened, and the more i practice the more i will catch myself earlier and earlier and eventually stop doing it altogether but it is VERY hard. We do not do this on purpose, i most of the time don't even notice at all. Someone had to tell me this time because i was not noticing at all, its scary, humiliating and very embarrassing. It's very hard to explain to someone who does not have BPD, and it's very scary to look back at yourself and see what you have done without noticing. Now, my days are half consumed with "what will i do". And i am trying very very hard to not jump to another compulsion due to this, i do get the urge to cut, drink, self medicate etc etc to not feel this shame and worry.

Thank you for reading me :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment