Bordeline Personality Disorder

I am doing this blog in the hopes of helping people with "BPD" and to help family and friends and those who do not have BPD to perhaps understand us better. Also to learn from others at the same time. I am 36 years old and I was diagnosed with BPD about 2 years ago. I am fortunate enough to be in a fantastic treatment center for 2 years and i know that depending on where people live, many places do not have treatment at all. I will be sharing VERY PERSONAL information because i think it is important people understand and in the hopes that my story can help someone who has felt the same or went through similar experiences, hopefully they can relate. I would like to share experiences and things I have learned in therapy and hear people's stories and experiences. Please do not self diagnose yourself if you find you have many of the symptoms of Borderline personality disorder. I also am not a doctor or therapist so everything I post is from my own experiences and what I have learned so far about BPD. Everyone is welcome to share their stories, offer tips and such but if anyone is disrespectful I will remove your posts. I hope this will be a way to inform and help people including myself. Thank you

Wednesday 14 September 2011

Being diagnosed late in life...

I have just finished watching a special on tv about kids with ocd. They were followed by a tv reporter for a year. The 3 kids they followed were in intense therapy and pretty much going through hell. It was a very good report and it made me think the following about being diagnosed with BPD at 34. When you are older and get diagnosed with a mental illness i believe it is not the same as when you are still at home under the legal age, i see it differently, when you hear about a child with a mental illness, you feel sorry for them, you tend to want to help them. The whole family (not in every situation I know) participates in the therapy. But when you are diagnosed with a mental illness at the age of 34 it's not exactly the same. People don't look at you as they would a child. A lot of people look at you as if you are crazy or mostly since you are an adult they look at you as if you SHOULD know better, because you are an adult afterall, you should be responsible and know better and do better but it is very similar for me it seems as with a child except i lived with this the most of my adult life suffering without knowing what i had. I also need the same type of help, support and therapy as a child would but that is not always the case. Their seems to be more judgment and it seems harder for people to understand and not to get angry since peole have a hard time letting go of the fact that i am struggling just as much even though i am an adult and should know better.

This is of course my opinion...please be patient with us and don't give up on us :0)

No comments:

Post a Comment